BluePumaBlues

It's what I think. It's what I feel. It's about stuff. I write, you read.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Being a little bit Green

I think by now we all want to do good by Mother Earth. It doesn't mean you have to give up your lifestyle, stopping eating meat, or hugging every single tree. Here are a few small things that I do that I feel good about. If all of us did small things, the combined total would be a very big thing:

1) Always try to recycle. It can be easy to dispose of something in the regular trash can, I do it myself from time to time, but take a moment and take a close look. Sometimes am item belongs in the recycling bin. Sometimes you have to make an extra effort. For example in my town they won't pick up old phone books curbside, they have to be either brought to the town dump or the phone company puts a bin out. People, it is worth the effort to get as much material as possible into the recycling stream.

2) Bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store. The plastic bags are made from petroleum products. Yes, most supermarkets do accept used bags for recycling, but I can't tell you how many times I had forgot to bring the pile to the market with me. Now I shop with a couple of canvas bags and three large mesh bags made out of recycled soda bottles. Everything is easier to carry into the house and I don't have to worry about the bag or the handle breaking.

3) Plan the most efficient route for you errands. Along with shopping lists, list your destinations and figure out the best route so you can use less gasoline. It really works!

4) Use an alternate method to get to work. Leave the car at home when it is possible. Car pools, the bus, the train, subway, walking (you know who you are) and my personal favorite the bike are ways to get to work. I have shed weight from my body and added it to my wallet in terms of the miles I have ridden on my bike as opposed to using the car. A rough estimate? I figure I've saved at least $200 since April 1.

Just try it. These things work for me and if we all do them we can make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home